Home Enhancement Guide
This information will introduce you to practical ideas on how to successfully prepare your house for sale. These suggestions require a minimum amount of time and expense to complete and are designed to make your house stand out from the competition.
Establishing the right first impression is critical to achieving a successful sale. Did you know that within 15 seconds a buyer has all ready developed an opinion on your property?
Your property’s landscape is not limited to the lawn and shrubs but encompasses everything from the street to your door. This is referred to as “curb appeal”.
- Make sure the street in front of your house is free of litter and debris.
- Sweep your sidewalk if needed and remove any weeds that may be growing between the cracks.
- Never let a peeling fence or squeaky gate stand in the way of selling your home. Put a fresh coat of paint on it and make sure to oil the hinges.
- A quick painting of an old mailbox will let the buyer know you care about the details.
- Be sure the shrubs are trimmed and the grass is freshly mowed.
- The walkway should be clean and free of weeds, consider having badly cracked sections replaced.
- A fresh coat of paint can be one of the best investments you can make to increase the value of your property.
- If you have vinyl or aluminum siding, have it washed.
- Replace any cracked or broken windows. Make sure the windows are clean and touch up paint as needed.
- A well-maintained roof will say a lot about the overall condition of the property. Replace or repair any missing or broken shingles, paint eaves and fascia boards or consider replacing the work before showing the property.
- The doorway is the focal point of your house. Repaint the door, apply new hardware, replace house numbers or install a new front light fixture.
There are many ways to create a more exciting and saleable interior at little cost.
- People will react more favorable to a property shown under bright light rather than dark. Keep windows clean, use adequate wattage in light bulbs, use mirrors to magnify the feeling of light and space. Use bright wall colors, open drapes and blinds prior to showing.
- A fundamental rule when selling your house is to keep colors neutral and light. Avoid highly patterned wallpaper whenever possible and try to limit bright colors to accents such as fresh flowers, towels or area rugs.
- Smell has more of an impact than you might expect. The smell of newness is positive; this can be achieved by applying a fresh coat of paint. Lemon oil or lemon wax can create a lasting scent of freshness. For a real heart-warming touch, place a dish of vanilla in a warm oven to create the aroma of fresh baked cookies. Avoid strong pet odors, tobacco, cooking, oil or gas.
- Consider replacing dated light fixtures.
- Spruce up the kitchen cabinets by installing new hardware.
- Organize your cabinets to showcase how much room you have.
- Remove small appliances and gadgets from the countertops.
- Place a vase of fresh flowers on the vanity.
- Replace an old toilet seat with a new one.
- Replace old light fixtures.
- Place all personal items out of sight.
- Add color with new towels and a shower curtain.
- Use inexpensive freestanding accent lights to create a dramatic visual effect.
- Professionally clean the carpet or area rugs.
- Clean the windows and light fixtures.
- Make sure all cosmetic plaster cracks are repaired.
- Make sure the rugs are cleaned, windows are washed and personal items are put away.
- Organize the closets to maximize space.
- Open the curtains or blinds to draw in as much light as possible.
The kitchen is perhaps the most important room in the house. It can have a major impact on the value of your property.
There are many ways you can improve your bathroom and create interest through various levels of enhancement.
Buyers look for an elegant and impressive living room.
The bedrooms are an area of the house that shouldn’t be neglected.
When you show attention to detail and understand the buyer’s need to visualize your house, you can dramatically increase the appeal of your property. Your Coldwell Banker Prestige Realty Sales Associate will be with you every step of the way to ensure you receive the highest obtainable price for your home in the shortest possible time.